Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 4, 2010

2010 Predictions

So, I haven't been feeling well for over a week. I am not a person who gets very sick or gets sick very often. This time was different, I just didn't realize how different. I went to the doctor to discover I have had pneumonia (and still do), pink eye, and an inner ear infection. Anyways, posting slowed down for a bit and I managed to waste a paragraph explaining why.





I have been pouring over the Royals roster, reading any and every piece of news, and frequently visiting sites that regularly cover the Royals and I have come to some conclusions: This team is pretty bad...STILL. This should come as no surprise to anyone that pays attention. Do you see any other teams "excited" about converting their overpaid relief pitcher into a starter? Any other teams counting on big production from players like Jose Guillen or Rick Ankiel? Probably not, and if they are...well, then they are probably about as good as the Royals. 
Top to bottom, the lineup is not much more intimidating than it was this time last year. The Royals still lack a legitimate lead-off hitter and clean-up hitter. This has been the case for a number of years and little has been done this off-season to remedy the issues. The Royals will be counting on the emerging bat of Billy Butler and will maintain the ever-hopeful view of Alex Gordon. Neither one of these guys are going to challenge the club record for home-runs this year. I am going to take the less-than-popular position and say that Billy Butler's numbers will not be a whole lot better, maybe even a little worse, than last years. Maybe I'm a cynic, or maybe I have seen too many Royals hitters apparently "emerge" only to have an abysmal following season in which pitchers "figured them out". Don't get me wrong, I think Butler is legit. I am just not going to confuse him with Albert Pujols and expect him to get a whole lot better. 
I have talked about Alex Gordon in a past post and do not feel motivated to give him much more thought. Bottom line, if he stays healthy...I would look for a 260-270 average with 15-20 home runs. We could argue this for weeks, but the guy is neither superstar nor dud...he is average. 
Podsednik might be able to reproduce last season's numbers, and he might not. If he does, he is still not even a three-year fix for a lead-off hitter. If he doesn't, the Royals still won't have a lead off hitter. So, who cares? Honestly, I feel that way regarding most of the Major League signings the team made this year. The rest of the potential lineup appears pretty boring at first glance. There might be some exciting surprises, but overall a very pedestrian group of hitters. 
Kendall is an offensive downgrade, no argument there. He was overpaid, again...no argument. Hopefully he really has an impact on a young pitching staff, and hopefully he truly is a defensive upgrade. Otherwise, I might be scratching my head even more than I already have with this signing.
Callaspo is really more of a problem than a bright spot. Talent that the team really can't utilize is very frustrating. He is an average to below average defender. He can hit, but he can't really hit for power and he is not a lead off guy either. How he fits into the lineup or where Kansas City can deal him is the biggest Spring Training question in my mind. I really like what he did offensively last season (and, to some extent, the season before). Aside from that, he is nothing special. Maybe as a fan I am putting way too much thought into him, but I do not see him on the Opening Day roster unless the Royals had no takers. 
The pitching staff might really be a bright spot this year. This is the part of the team that really has me thinking they won't loose 100 games and they might even win 75-80. Greinke, even if he declines a bit, is going to be great. Gil Meche appears healthy. Brian Bannister appears healthy. Hochevar is working on his delivery. Robinson Tejeda showed some great work late last season (Kyle Davies did the same thing a year ago, but let's not go there). Joakim Soria is still the "Mexicutioner". If there is any hope on this team, then it lies within the pitching staff. As I write this, however, the Royals are getting absolutely shelled by the Texas Rangers...but, hey IT IS Spring Training. 
Overall, I don't see the Royals making a run for the top of the A.L. Central. I don't see them winning 100 games, but I don't see them losing 100 games either. I really think the Royals will win somewhere between 70-79 games in 2010. The Major League club is not what I care about this season, however. As a fan, I am willing to be patient...AGAIN. For one, I don't really have a choice. I mean, let's say I am not going to be patient: "Look out Royals! I am done being patient!!". It wouldn't make any difference. Dayton Moore has done a lot of work with the farm system, and I believe that is the future of this club. He has drafted fairly well, and has really explored the international market and made some potentially good signings. 
Again, Royals fans...hold your breath and your tongue and wait. Wait to see if the long term investments pay off and be thankful that the Royals haven't continued to tie up money in expensive mid-tier free agents. The Royals must play small market baseball: Less is more, and the Royals are starting to understand that.


No comments:

Post a Comment