Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Another Spring, another pitcher full of Kool-Aid

I now live in Portland, Oregon. It's February, it's been near sixty degrees for almost ten days, the grass is green (and requiring mowing), trees are budding (many already have leaves), and daffodils and crocus have pushed through the ground to reveal spring flowers. Growing up in the Midwest, it is spring here for me.
Portland Streetcar, Spring Blossoms, Rain
I have been listening and reading a lot about the Royals. Their predicted lineups, the impact of their offseason moves, those who have potential for breakout seasons, and on and on. My longstanding love affair with the Kansas City Royals cycles much like the seasons here on Mother Earth.
Mid-summer is invariably extreme disappointment, anger, and frustration. Sometimes as early as June, it feels as though the Royals have dug their comfortable hole at the bottom of the A.L. Central. It reminds me of the dry and dying summers of Missouri. Don't get me wrong, there are some good things going on. It's hot enough outside to swim, play golf, picnic and barbecue, and play outdoors with the family. The same can be said for the Royals. Watching players like Greinke, Soria and Butler never gets old, but the overall feeling come July is "the Royals season is over. They are done, dead, forget about it".
Watching the Fall Classic passes and we (as fans) start to come to terms with the state of the team. Several explanations "fall" our way much like the leaves dropping off of trees: "There's a lot of talent in the minors", "The younger players are still developing", "It is difficult, if not impossible to sign top tier free agents here". The list goes on, and we accept that the Royals are still REALLY bad and it is going to take time to turn that around.
Winter sets in. We are stunned not only by the cold temps, but the moves of the front office. "Surely they are not going to sign more mediocre aging ball players to 'fill the gaps' until our 'young stars' arrive?" You bet they are, only this season the approach is a little different. Through their off-season acquisitions the Royals made it quite clear they were going to sign virtually every average outfielder available. I feel the need to make a very obvious disclaimer here: I am by no means a baseball expert, general manager, scout, or someone who even played baseball at a highly competitive level. I DO KNOW that the Royals are rarely competing with top clubs to sign free agents.
Imagine, for a moment, that free agents are food on a buffet table. The Yankees, Red Sox, Mets and Dodgers are four fat people ahead of you (the Royals) in line. What do you get to eat? Whatever the hell is left over. That is how the off-season has gone for as long as I can remember. Occasionally, the Royals "jump-ahead" in the buffet line and "steal" all the brussels sprouts from the fat folks (advanced apologies offered to any of those who are offended). What do they think? "Who cares, we didn't want them anyways."
As mentioned before...now it is spring...hope and promise are everywhere. I look back onZack Greinke's year and the fact that he was signed to an extension. I think about the prospect of a healthy Gil Meche and Bannister and what that could mean for the rotation. I wonder if Luke Hochevar can become consistent with the promise he has shown. I think about what all that could mean and...I giggle. I remember watching Billy Butler last year. I was so happy with his development at the plate I didn't even care that he wasn't even an average first basemen. I try not to get angry that Betancourt and Farnsworth are on the roster and consuming too much payroll. I wonder if Mike Aviles could be healthy and the options that might offer the team. I pray that Guillen either plays for a contract or has a season-ending injury. I get excited about working Alberto Callaspo into the lineup. In the end, I drink the Kool-Aid. It's spring, and until June or July...I think about the Royals contending in the Central.

No comments:

Post a Comment